Saturday, December 18, 2010

Facebook and Twitter

Well Facebook isn't my thing. Will probably spend a bit of time trying to find some long lost friends. But as to actually using it as a social network, this old luddite prefers the old telephone and email. Its application to our work is another thing. It certainly can be used as a great marketing tool. Once again though it will require a commitment to ensuring it is constantly updated and monitored and that requires time. It is good to see the younger staff in our library showing initiative and drive to embrace Facebook as a marketing tool. We may have to look at what else we are currently doing that needs to be scaled back in order to provide the time needed to make the Facebook tool effective.

Well I'm now tweeting. My kids will be horrified - even they don't tweet. Forgot to tweet yesterday. Well that is my assessment down the tube. I can see the value in these networks for some people and it could be an interesting marketing tool, but for me no. I really don't have the need to be in that sort of immediate all the time contact with friends or family. There are some theories going round that email will die a natural death because of things such as twitter. But I can’t see that happening for sometime. The baby boomer generation are addicted to their email – in the main.

2 comments:

  1. Travelling,

    I'm aware that many staff don't have access to this course outside of work, so the requirement for this section is merely to tweet for 5 days, not for five days consecutively :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook had me all teary when old schoolfriends made contact.

    ReplyDelete