Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Geocahshing

I have to admit I had never heard of Geocashing and it appears to have been going for sometime now. WA Cashing is holding its 10th anniversary in Albany next year! Well although I love the outdoors and hiking, this isn't for me. I don't have a GPS and my mobile is soooo dated I wouldn't be able to get it enabled anyway. So no practice for me, but I do get the idea. Looks like it might be something for the mainly post baby generation folks whose equipment is more up to date.
In our libraries one possible use could be a local history treasure hunt.


Wrap Up
Well I'm glad I have completed the course (well I think I have even if not in time to be eligible for a prize)and I have to take off my hat to Mel and Mark for the fantastic job they have done. Your enthusiasm and thoroughness are to be commended.
I have been a tad negative in some of my comments and this is no reflection to your organisation. I just feel we should have given staff a little more time, particularly part-timers. Added to this was the fact that it all took far more time to do than I think we had anticipated, particularly at Ellenbrook and Bullsbrook.I did the bulk of the course at home and I only have a very slow connection. So doing things like adding photos took literally hours.
I'm not sure making it compulsory was the right way to go. Personally I found having to do 5 blog comments per week a bit of a chore and I feel I had had enough practice after 10!

5 comments:

  1. Never heard of geocaching either and not quite there yet - but sounds like I will also be limited by technology!
    Congrats on finishing the course!
    At Gosnells access to most things has been impossible- so we have also done it pretty much from home - but by choice - it wasn't compulsory for these reasons.
    Looking forward to finishing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the course shouldn't have been made compulsory in Week 7 of our progress through the course We are now effectively running two separate timelines od groups through the course at the one oeganisation.

    However, the decision was made by library management and its up the the library Managers and us trainers to make it work to the best of our abilities for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing the course - far be that this comment is only being made because of the 5 per week - I've still to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too don't have a phone capable of gps, happily though I have no interest what so ever in geocaching...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I like the local history possibilities.

    ReplyDelete